Health Benefits of True Food

“I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with a seed in it. They will be yours for food.” Genesis 1:29 NIV

Nutrition and health experts say that 70% of nutrition is about what you put in your mouth. That means that exercise only impacts 30% of your physical health, and the other 70% is literally based on what you eat.

Food is universal and a great way to express our different cultures and what makes the world a beautiful place with its abundant variety. But it’s important to remember to be mindful of what we eat and to get a majority of our nutrition from what we call true food–unadulterated, unprocessed, food. We have compiled nutrition facts and fun recipes to help you eat better.


One of the joys of being located in the Valley of the Sun during the late winter/early spring time, is Spring Training, and also large quantities of citrus, namely Grapefruit. Grapefruit provides potassium and also can provide up to 50% more than the daily recommended serving of Vitamin C. It is low on fat and sodium. A study conducted by Dr. James Cerda of the University of Florida tested grapefruit pectin, finding in the patients who received the supplemental pectin they had lower blood cholesterol levels and the ratio of good to bad got better. Eating four to six servings of fruit and vegetables a day could lower blood cholesterol. If you need a new way to eat grapefruit try broiling it with sugar on top or taking a blow torch (only under adult supervision) and making Grapefruit Brule. The flame from the torch gives it a nice toasty taste and makes the contrast between cold and warm exciting.